Some communities are using pesticides to control mosquitoes and it is not a good idea. We need to re-think the necessity of spraying for mosquitoes. Is it possible to get bitten by a mosquito and get sick? Sure, it is possible. It is possible to get sick when exposed to house fly feces, cockroaches and some other insects. It is possible to get sick from consuming bisphenol A (BPA) when drinking water out of a plastic bottle or eating food from a can. It is possible to get sick from the chemicals used by the animal agriculture industry in meat we eat and the milk we drink. It is possible to get sick from the air we breathe particularly in heavy urban areas. It is possible to get sick from taking prescription drugs. It is certainly possible to get sick from exposure to pesticides and herbicides we use to “prevent” getting sick from bugs. It is possible to get sick from swimming in polluted bodies of water. No matter what we do, what we eat or drink, how we breathe and many other factors, it is very possible to get sick.
What is the point of spraying pesticides that will probably cause more health issues than a couple of mosquitoes will? We need to come up with clean, organic methods of dealing with all of these “possible sickness” issues and spraying pesticides isn’t a healthy option for insect control.