All Creatures Great and Small

Pesticides can be more dangerous than pests

We have a lot of misconceptions in our society and I want to bring some to light. Black widows are venomous, and their bites can be fatal, but they are not at all aggressive. They will bite if mishandled, squeezed or if you threaten their egg sacs. They bite in self-defense and to defend their baby spiders. They do not run around a house looking for people to bite. In reality,all species of spiders kill approximately 7 people a year in the U.S. Black widows are responsible for some of them and brown recluse are blamed for a few. Other spiders can cause a problem if the person has an allergic reaction to the venom, but as I said, no spiders will bite you except in self-defense. In the U.S., nobody has died from a scorpion sting in over 40 years and centipedes have painful bites but the species we have in the U. S. are not deadly. In reality furniture kills more people than all the spiders, scorpions and centipedes combined. So watch out for a falling TV set!

Then we spray tons of pesticides in and around our homes to control these so-called dangerous critters. It is a scientific fact that exposure to pesticides that are commonly used by pest control companies can cause children to be 47% more likely to get leukemia and 43% more likely to get lymphoma than children who aren’t exposed to pesticides. The same pesticides have been found to cause pregnant women to have autistic children and have been linked to Parkinson’s Disease. And this is just what we know. When somebody is exposed to pesticides, they may not get sick right away or even in the near future, but the pesticides can certainly compromise their immune systems making them more likely to get sick a few years down the road.

I would never recommend letting black widows, scorpions or centipedes live in or around your home if you have children, as accidents can happen. But using pesticides applied by a pest control company is not a safe way to control them. I asked one fellow who was spraying office baseboards what he was using and he said he couldn’t pronounce it and walked away. Another fellow was spraying the baseboards in a home and using a lot of pesticides. When the homeowner asked him why, the fellow said his nozzle was broken! These are the people who are licensed and certified to spray toxic pesticides in and around your home.

There are safe, non-toxic pesticides you can buy and use yourself. It is cheaper, safer and much better for the environment if you do your own pest management without the use of toxic pesticides.

Be careful. Watch out for falling furniture and some exterminators, but don’t worry about the spiders and other bugs. There is much more to this. I have written three books and several handbooks on this subject and write columns about it in some newspapers.  If you have any pest or pesticide questions, you can contact me at askthebugman2013@gmail.com

 

Advertisements

About askthebugman

I have been in the pest management industry for over 40 years. In that time I have used almost every pesticide available to control so-called “pests”. With this experience, I have learned over the years that the pesticides we use are far more dangerous than the pests we are trying to control. As a result, it has become a passion for me to improve the quality of life for humans and the planet, by assisting people to not only become more educated and aware of their environment – but also by learning to manage their home and business with a sustainable and healthier approach to tending to unwanted infestations of bugs. Please enjoy my blog posts, check out my publications, utilize my services, or simply stay in touch if you have a bug question…

Discussion

One thought on “Pesticides can be more dangerous than pests

  1. IBBS – My bout with IBBS began when a friend dropped off a Bed Bug. Are they related?? I can’t find much info about the nymph stage the microscopic red to beige stages before they turn brown. I wonder if it is these things that crawl ll over me at night between midnight and 5 AM: I smush them when I feel them under my T-shirt. I can’t see them on my skin. Not sure where they come from. They seem attracted by CO2 and crawl around my C-PAP mask and gather around my nostrils. I blow them out all day in various sizes and shapes. I have recently seen some tiny, tiny hard shelled things with white “eggs” inside that will pop if poked or smashed. Can’t find those on Googles. The “sand” feeling in my scalp may be Dermodex mites which may be an immunity issue, making me wonder if the whole IBBS is an immunity issue. Of course, I have sprayed pesticide in my bedroom until I am blue in the face trying to kill the Bed Bugs. i know there are fewer BBs now than 2 weeks ago but wonder about my health. I See my Family Doc in Jan and can take this all up with him, but don’t hold out for any definitive answers. Anything new about IBBS that I can tell him? Thank you! Bless you for your Good Works!

    Posted by Kathleen DeWeese | December 19, 2018, 10:54 pm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 165 other followers

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: