Someone just asked me a question about venomous snakes. In this case a copperhead. Let me tell you a true story about a copperhead bite. I use to keep venomous snakes in cages in my house (40 years ago). One night I was giving a dead mouse to a copperhead. I was holding the mouse by the tail. The copperhead struck at the mouse, missed and hit my finger. Or maybe it was aiming at my finger. It hurt. So I opened a bottle of scotch and decided to drink it as medicine. Not making this up. I passed out and woke up the next morning. The entire left side of my body, my left arm and left leg were swollen beyond imagination. Also very tender. I thought maybe I should go to a hospital. They gave me some anti-venom in my other arm, but missed the vein. My right arm also swelled up. Then they said I wasn’t urinating enough. I told them to give me some beer and I would be happy to pee. Instead they opted to give me a catheter. Getting a catheter when both arms are swollen and secured is, to say the least, a bit painful. They could probably hear me screaming throughout the hospital. The next morning, I asked them to remove the catheter and I signed a release and left the hospital. My wife Sandi took me to a Circle K where I bought a bag of ice. I laid in bed with my left arm elevated and a bag of ice on it and I was fine in a couple of days. The hospital experience was more painful than the copperhead bite.